We want you to be successful in your chromatographic applications, and we understand that providing top-quality products is only part of that equation. The resources below address many of the common issues that our customers come across in the lab, and if you're still wrestling with a chromatographic challenge, Restek Technical Service is here to help.
General Troubleshooting Tips
- Change only one thing at a time.
- Carefully document all maintenance and troubleshooting activity.
- Check the obvious and routine things first: look at maintenance logs, check cables and connections, leak check.
- Isolate system components and steps: confirm proper sample preparation, perform a blank run, connect an alternate injector or detector, install a different column.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Restek's Technical Service Department has collected the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) about our products and their use, and we've answered them all for your convenience and quick access.
- Tools and Calculators: Whether you want to quickly model a chromatogram, translate a method, find a certificate of analysis, or request a custom Restek product, our tools and calculators are a great place to start.
- Reference Standards – Search, Select, and Custom Request Tool: Search our reference standards by compound name, synonym, or CAS #. If you cannot find the right stock standard, simply proceed through the form to request a custom solution for some or all of your compounds of interest.
- Resources and Education: Part of our commitment to giving you a Plus 1 customer experience is conveniently connecting you with the resources and education you need to be successful.
Guides and Cross-References
From product selection assistance to maintenance advice, these popular resources from our Technical Library are invaluable.
- GC Inlet Maintenance: Quick-Reference Guide: Select the right GC inlet supplies, establish an inlet maintenance program to prevent unwanted downtime, and easily order the products you need for your specific instrument.
- Agilent GC-MS Maintenance: Quick-Reference Guide: Maintain and enhance your instrument's performance with our line of routine GC-MS maintenance and replacement parts for Agilent mass spectrometers.
- Capillary Column Installation Guide: Explore this in-depth guide to proper GC capillary column installation for detailed instructions, best practices, and strategies and advice for troubleshooting.
- Guide to GC Column Selection and Optimizing Separations: Simplify GC column selection, optimization of GC separations, and troubleshooting.
- LC Column Physical Characteristics Chart: Compare Restek's HPLC and UHPLC columns by silica specifications, applications, chromatographic properties, similar phases, and USP codes.
- Routine LC Maintenance: Simple Steps to Preventing Unexpected Downtime: Explore areas of focus for routine LC maintenance and learn how to develop a targeted program that is effective for your lab.
- Diagnosing and Preventing High Back Pressure in LC Systems: Learn more about typical causes of high back pressure, troubleshooting, and routine maintenance parts and practices that can help you avoid unplanned instrument downtime.
- Restek LC Guard Column Selector: How to Find the Right Guard Fast: Understand how to choose an LC guard column correctly to protect your analytical column and save money by extending analytical column lifetime.
- Packed Column Information: Order the right packed column configuration to fit your instrument and add the correct fittings for proper installation.
- GC Column Cross-Reference: Columns by Phase: Use this phase cross-reference chart to match GC columns from other manufacturers or USP nomenclature to Restek columns.
- GCxGC Column Combination Guide: Find the perfect combination of Restek primary and secondary columns for your application to maximize the effectiveness of your GCxGC system.
- USP Phase and Support Cross-Reference Chart: Find the USP-equivalent Restek GC liquid phase or solid support you need.
- 1/5/Waxes Column Cross-Reference Tool: Conveniently compare a wide variety of stationary phases and column configurations to find the best column for your analyses.
- GC Nut/Ferrule Compatibility Table: Quickly determine which Restek nuts and ferrules you need to install a column in your GC.
- ASTM Product Guide: Easily identify the right GC columns and reference standards for SimDist, DHA, finished gasoline, and other common petroleum analyses.
- ASE Extraction System Parts Cross-Reference: Browse our most frequently requested ASE extraction parts with Dionex cross-references for fast and convenient selection.
- Handy Septum Size Chart: Pinpoint the septa size you need for maintaining your GC by instrument manufacturer and model.
- Product Guide for PFAS Analysis: A Methods-Based Reference to Lab Supplies for PFAS Testing: Use this methods-based guide to easily find the high-quality lab supplies you need to meet method requirements for accurately monitoring these ubiquitous contaminants.
Contact Restek Technical Service
If you still have questions or need additional technical assistance, contact us today!