Your web browser will no longer be supported by as of 30 June 2021.
To avoid any interruption in access or functionality, install a current-generation web browser now. Learn more.

I need a fitting, but which one?

13 April 2012
  • Alan Sensue
  • Share:

We (tech service) get calls all the time about fittings, especially the ones we sell which are manufactured by Swagelok, Parker, and Valco. It seems like customers are either very familiar with fittings, or they know virtually nothing about them. I will try and provide some information that will hopefully take some of the confusion out of these different fittings.

First, the Swagelok and Parker fittings that Restek sells are designed for similar applications. Although each of these companies offer a huge variety of products, we only sell the items usually requested by our customers in the field of chromatography. These fittings are commonly used to plumb gases to a gas chromatograph, install packed columns, install gas filters (traps), etc…


A few things to keep in mind:

1. We sell both brass and stainless steel fittings. Brass is for use with copper tubing, and stainless steel is for use with stainless steel tubing. If you try and use a brass fitting with stainless steel tubing, brass isn’t hard enough for the ferrule to “bite” into the stainless steel tubing; therefore, you will not be able to obtain a proper seal. In addition, connecting two dissimilar metals may lead to galvanic corrosion

2. The fittings we sell may have compression or National Pipe Thread tapered ends (NPT). Compression ends are made for a tube which has a specific outside diameter (OD). For example, a ¼” compression fitting is designed to connect a section of tubing which has an OD of ¼”. When the nut (which contains the ferrules) is tightened, it compresses the ferrules onto the tubing to make the seal. Keep in mind that most metal tubing is designated by its OD while most plastic tubing is designated by its ID (and usually needs a plastic fitting to obtain a proper connection).

3. NPT (ends) look very different than compression (ends). NPT has no nuts or ferrules, but instead relies entirely on a thread connection. Like plastic tubing, the product designation for NPT (and pipe in general) is the internal diameter (ID), not tubing OD like compression. To help clarify the difference between compression and NPT, the photo below shows a fitting with male NPT end on the left, and compression end on the right.

4. The metal ferrules that are included in the compression end(s) can be replaced with ferrules of different materials. For example, if trying to connect a fitting to a ¼” OD glass tube, you would want to replace the metal ferrules with a softer material like graphite. Similarly, you would want to replace the metal ferrules with PTFE ferrules if using the fitting with PTFE tubing.

5. Finally, unlike compression, NPT fittings can be either male or female. Just remember that the threads on a male fitting are on the outside, and threads on a female fitting are on the inside.


We also sell Valco fittings. These are considered low (or zero) dead volume fittings, meaning they are designed to eliminate any dead space (volume) within the fitting. Common uses for these fittings are to connect capillary columns and other small ID tubing where dead space may cause chromatography (or other) problems such as tailing peaks. These fittings usually include stainless steel ferrules. Just like with other compression fittings, the metal ferrules can be replaced with Valcon Polyimide ferrules when connecting tubing other than stainless steel. Note that these fittings, while containing nuts and ferrules like other compression fittings, have a very different style (see photo below), and are not compatible/interchangeable with the Swagelok / Parker fittings described above.

A few final thoughts on the topic of fittings:

For gas flow rates less than 5mL/min, consider Valco connectors to minimize dead volume. For the most inert fittings, consider Siltek/Sulfinert Treated products. When in doubt as to which fitting to use, always ask someone first, as using the incorrect fitting can be dangerous if a proper seal is not made. Remember, we are just a phone call or e-mail away.



Sign In to add your comments.

Thu, Jan 04, 2018

Hello Alan, My view regarding using a steel compression fitting on a copper pipe is that the ferrule itself is steel and requires much more force to compress this down onto the copper pipe than the brass fitting/ferrule does. This leads to the fitting being under tightened. I've seen numerous instances were the seal has not been made and major leakage occurs. Also I believe that the steel ferrule is not meant to compress the pipe but to cut into it to provide the mechanical connection. This will happen if the pipe is steel but doesn't happen if the pipe is copper. I would always use steel fittings/steel ferrules on steel pipe and brass fittings/brass ferrules on copper pipe. Brian

Wed, Aug 09, 2017

Hi Brian: Thank you for reading my post. As far as I know, you can use stainless steel compression fittings with copper tubing, but generally this is not done for two reasons: 1) Stainless steel fittings are generally more expensive so some may consider it a waste of money and 2) Over time (I am not sure how long), galvanic corrosion will likely occur. To obtain a more comprehensive/definitive answer, I suggest asking the fitting experts/manufacturers like Swagelok and Parker. I hope this helps. Alan

Wed, Aug 09, 2017

Hi, I totally agree with your comment item 1. My question is what if it was the other way round. Could we use a steel compression fitting with copper pipe ? I have a view on this but would like to hear your comments. Thanks. Brian.

Fri, Jan 02, 2015

Dear Sir , Thank you so much for the important basic info. that anyone should know before working with Tubes and Fittings , i used to be an Electrical Engineer , but recently I have new task related to installation for instruments such as Pressure transmitter , differential pressure transmitter , ...etc , those kinds of instruments needs impulse lines to be connected from the process piping to the instrument , i had doubt regarding to the use of brass ball valve with stainless steel tubes , after your great notes , it is clear for me now . Thanks :)